Sunday, December 21, 2014

remembering Christmas.... part 5

... not all things from my childhood. This one is much more recent: probably about ten or twelve years ago. Setting up the scene: I was working in the bakery. We were giving out samples of fresh baked bread, sliced, then buttered, then put in the toaster over to serve warm to passersby.
As I recall it worked pretty well to lure customers into buying the newly introduced loaves.

I somehow, accidently, knocked/pulled the toaster off the little stand, and it crashed onto the floor, breaking the glass front. I felt inept, incompetent, and terrible about destroying the toaster. So I bought a replacement, even though the store could afford it much better than I could. I was both annoyed and pissed, but had only myself to blame.

Since I replaced the damaged toaster, I decided it was mine. And took it to the small appliance repair store to try to get a new part and have it installed. They told me a new door would cost as much as a new toaster oven. So I said darn. And took it home, set aside and sort of forgot about it.

Months later I took a notion to call the manufacturer to see if I might be able to get the replacement part. And found that I could cut the plug off, mail it to the maker and get a sparkly, brand new toaster: the damaged one was still in warranty, as evidenced by the lot number imprinted on the plug. Yay! So here I am with a toaster I don't need.

It got to be Christmas. One daughter was living in Decatur going to chef- ing school. Came home for the holiday. As we were sitting at the dining table, finishing lunch, she mentioned that she might like to have a small appliance. Specifically: 'I wish I had a toaster'. I said 'Hold that thought'. Got up from the table and went out into the storage/shop, and came back with a brand new, sparkly, shiny-bright toaster oven. Then she said, "I wish I had a pony."

1 comment: