Monday, December 22, 2014

new day, new recipe...

... when the game changes every Sunday and Wednesday. One recipe goes for four days, the next one is repeated over the course of three days, then back to Wed. through Sat. schedule. So when went in today, I had to learn how to make something new. I guess it's good - studying, practicing skills, learning how to make it easier than what the provided directions for 'how to' direct me to assemble the dish. Finding the best, simplest way to reproduce the same thing  four or five times in a row.

I was a bit anxious about going in today, knowing that the recipe I would be facing was for a rib roast. The ones I saw when I got to work, there in the cooler, right behind my work station: $45 for a piece of meat. Wow. I was so thankful that my instructions allowed me to not make the roast. When something in the past has called for a large, multi-serving piece of meat, the demo. instructions will tell us to use steaks or porkchops, or a smaller cut that would be similar to the finished product in the recipe. But this time: thankfully, omitting the meat entirely.

So I made the side dish that went with the roast six times. Remarkably easy, and simple to assemble. I have it memorized. Do you want to hear it? It's all right here, in my head!

A pile of mashed potatoes. We used the ones prepared, pre-packaged in the meat dept., but no reason you could not use some you had made yourself, and had leftovers. Pat this out in a square  9x9 inch oven safe pan.
Four plum tomatoes, sliced thin.
slices of fresh mozaarella cheese.
Alternate these on top of the potaotes, in layers, like shingles.
Mix Italian flavored bread crumbs and parmesan cheese together, and sprinkle over. Bake.

This all sounds really strange, right? That's what I thought, along with not being particularly fond of mashed potatoes. But when you bake it for 20 -30 min, and the flavors blend, it's remarkably good. I was really surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment