Monday, December 8, 2014

giving away.... part 2

... thankfully I was not giving away my time, while all this was occurring on Sunday afternoon. Even though it was not visibly productive from my standpoint. I think I may have seen a half dozen people put the little cartons of profoundly sweet caramel dip in their shopping carts. Which would not have begun to come  close to covering the cost of having me stand there and give it away for five hours.

And I think I benefitted from that long tedious experience: by practicing standing on one foot. I know as we age one of the dangers for adults with bones that are becoming risky is fractures when falling. I am sure my balance is not as good as it was years ago. And have actually had rehab. workers tell me I should be 'practicing'. So while I was stuck there at the apple stand for hours on end, I decided to see how long I could stand on one foot, without looking terribly foolish or having it become too obvious.

Or looking like someone 'under the influence'. I got up to nearly thirty seconds. Which is pretty impressive, once I admit to starting with less than five. Trying to look discreet, not flopping around, waving my arms to keep upright. Making every effort to appear well-behaved. Though I am sure the tape from the security cameras would cause one to say: Whaaaat?


I know I will need to continue practicing, to retain this very important skill. But if you should pass by and see me looking wobbly out of the corner of your eye: don't be alarmed. Just standing on one foot. Not deliberately trying to look like someone about to take flight... only trying to improve my balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment