Tuesday, December 16, 2014

remembering Christmas...part 2

...when there were some good and some not so good. I apparently have gotten pretty adept at putting things in little compartments where I can close the door on things that I want to block out. Plus you don't want to hear the stories with remembrance of the 'not so good'.

The Good: and The Best: was the year my dad bought a horse. When I think about it now, it is difficult to believe that I would be so outrageous as to ask for/expect to get a horse. It had to be a drain on the family economy. After you buy one, you have to feed it. A whole lot more than table scraps a dog would consume, along with the occasional can of food. I am not sure how old I was,, maybe eleven or twelve, definitely of the age to be 'horse crazy'. I'm wishing now I had asked my dad a lot of questions about a lot of different things before it was too late, and inquiring into the details of how him came into possession of a very large four-footed mammal is one of those questions.

Sadly, I was not surprised: my brother apparently could not keep a secret. But I did. They told him what I was getting, and told me what he was getting. And he blabbed. But not me, so he had no idea what to expect at the crack of dawn on that Christmas day.

I was delighted and rode that horse all over town for years. My dad built a pen in the back yard. But expected me to take care of it, which I did, feeding, watering , grooming. He was occasionally tied out in the yard or a big pecan orchard across the road, to graze on fresh grass.  He was a sort of rusty red color, with a white star on his forehead. His name was Tony. I did not know about a man who made cowboy movies before I came along, but there was a guy named Tom Mix who has a horse named Tony, so I think that was how this one got his name.

I guess I lost interest, out-grew horse riding... along about the time I started high school. So my dad must have sold him... not sure what happened...

No comments:

Post a Comment