Saturday, December 6, 2014

cheezy crafting....

...will occur today when I have been drafted to help with a Girl Scouting event. This is something some GS leaders do each year for the younger aged girls, an annual event to gather the troops and have some holiday fun. They will meet at the Council-owned property in Harris County, out in the woods, along the south edge of the Pine Mountain ridge. In a big lodge on camp property with space for a crowd to gather.

It is with great sadness that I say the crafts are all pre-fab and lame. Everything comes in a little sealed plastic bag out of a mail-order catalog. Mostly pre-cut craft foam, with peel off paper on the back, so all the do is stick the part together, add a string hanger to make it an ornament, and write their names on the back. Garish green wreaths, with bright yellow stars, and red cord hangers. Lame little lime green strips of perforated craft foam and white pipe-cleaner to thread with red pony beads for a 'tree'.  Glitter-covered cut out foam stockings, with foam snowflake  to peel the backing from, and stick on for decoration. Etc., etc., etc. Things they will be done with in thirty-seven seconds and ask: 'what's next?'

But I was recruited to go along and assist with putting them together. So I will put on my cheerful girlscoutsmile and make the best of it. In various small groups of youngsters, other adults will be conducting a sing-a-long, and making hot cocoa with the girls. I suspect a big part of the fun is just being together, feeling like 'a part', being a member of a group. And the novelty of going out in the woods.

...then I have a poster to finish for my monthly Sunday School project. Got started on it Thursday night, after suddenly remembering about it when I stopped by the church building on Thurs. aft. I am so glad it did pop up in my brain, as I was able to get several big sheets of colored paper to have something to put together... while waiting for inspiration to strike so I could pull something clever out of thin air. I don't have any crayons or markers, so will have to run to the $1 store and get coloring supplies to complete.  And  leave home early enough in the morning to get it on the wall before church.

No comments:

Post a Comment