Friday, October 31, 2014

travelin'...(Thursday)

....has, oddly enough, meant sleeping better in 'strange place' than I do in my own little space. Really unusual for me to sleep until 6:30 or seven o'clock in the morning. But it has happened twice.

The familyhere is very involved, committed to their home church. And spend a lot of time in a variety of activities that support programs and ministries the Baptist church organizes. My sis-in-law, E. was getting stuff organized to fill boxes for the Christmas Child Ministry of Samaritan's Purse Ministry of Franklin Graham. Came upon the idea of painting some little wooden cubes (left over from long deceased crafting project) to put in zipper bags for shipping off as games the kids could play, matching colors, learning numbers. So we spent the morning painting cubes to add to the shoeboxes. Went to have lunch with her dad.

And the afternoon volunteering at a middle school adjacent to the church. Where members of the church offer their time one day each week to assist with copying needed by teachers. If it had been me doing the multiplicity of copies, on a machine that constantly had paper jams, I would have been saying some unprintable words. But the sis-in-law was remarkably patient, constantly opening the door to the innards, fishing in the mechanical parts to pull out crimped up sheets of paper - starting again, only to repeat the process. This copier was born smarter than I am: copies front and back, can punch holes to go in binders, and staple  multiple pages together. But also profoundly aggravating when it would constantly jam and bring the whole process to a screeching halt. I was not dealing with the frustrating machine, and I was grinding my teeth: so I know she was thoroughly annoyed by the constant endless jamming up.

Then I went for a walk down the street, admiring colors of leaves on trees on a beautiful autumn afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment