Wednesday, October 8, 2014

the thing is...

... probably not at all worth the effort invested. Me going to substitute teach today. If it were not such a frustrating, discouraging, aggravating endeavor, it would be laughable. If kids minds, future and our way of life did not hang in the balance due to failure in public education, it would be a great comedy routine.

I accepted the job yesterday afternoon, when I got a call, and knew I had nothing else on my calendar for the day. I'd made an effort to find one on Monday but all that were available were positions for subbing in special education classrooms. I accidently did that a couple of times, and know it is not something I am suited for. I am sure there are people that do that work well, but I'm sure it's not for me. So though there were several unfilled slots open, available and in need of bodies in the classrooms to provide support, I didn't do any on Monday.

But my phone keeps ringing, and if I am available/interested/have the day free, I am semi-likely to take an occasional job. I declined the first offer on Tuesday afternoon, for working today (it was special ed.), but took the second. Which was working as a para-professional/glorified teacher's aide at the Downtown Elementary school. Generally the para jobs are in pre-K, kindergarten or first grade, so that is what I had expected to be doing today. Little did I know....

When I got to the school, and walked in the office to sign in (otherwise you don't get paid), I was informed I would be working in a fourth grade class. Along with a young woman who was doing her student teaching. I'll have to say it mostly all worked out, but it was a very stressful day. Lots of kids with lots of problems that need help, and attention, discipline, evaluations, remediation, support, encouragement, sympathy, affection, supervision. That young woman who is trying to finish up her classes to get her degree was nearly at the end of her rope. I don't know what either of us would have done if the other had not been there. I am glad she was there, and I feel like she would not have been able to do it on her own. Plus the state requires a certified teacher be present, so if I had not appeared, I'll continue to wonder what would have happened.

Today was Ms. L's third day in that class: I am thankful for her, glad she knew most of them by name, and could call out the names to help manage twenty-odd students, milling around, asking questions, needing guidance. But she was really stressed, due to feeling the weight of responsibility for doing well in the position. Probably having some serious doubts about 'what in the world have I gotten myself into?'

No comments:

Post a Comment