Saturday, October 25, 2014

a good citizen...

if that is the same thing as a conscientious volunteer. I have been doing some of that today. Went to walk down town, as a participant in a fundraiser. 'Hopegivers International' was promoting the event to try to raise money to provide for orphans in India. I had asked several people at work to make donations to help me towards a goal of $150. I fully intended to write a check, and did. On considering this project more, I think there are lots of people nearby who are hungry, so don't know that raising money to feed people on the other side of the globe is such a wonderful idea. And as always, wonder how much of funding actually end up being used for the intended purpose.

I don't know if they were pleased to see me, or just happy to see the money I handed over, but they gave me a really loud, lime-green T-shirt to help advertise their cause. Which I will probably not wear, as I do so much griping about having to wear my un-favorite color when I go to work in the Publix green knit polo-type shirt I am required to wear. A really awful shade the company decided on: almost an olive drab, military issue color.

And after I walked a bit downtown, I had agreed to help with a thing the Girl Scouts were doing at the Columbus Museum. I did not really know what to expect, other than the fact that they would be 'painting without brushes'. As it turned out, the instructor, a staff member in the Education Dept., took them on a short tour, talked a bit about art, then turned them loose with paint and: cotton swabs. Then later they had a go at painting with feathers, and finally just using their fingers. Not something I would care to turn a dozen 8 and 9 year olds loose with - but I was only the 'helper'. Thankfully, I am also not the person trying to get tempera paint out of their clothes.

After spending  much longer than expected in the painting experience, I went by the hardware store to buy some cabbage plants. And accidently bought some cauliflower and parsley too. Got them all planted this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment