Sunday, October 12, 2014

after the nap...

...rarely occurring on a Sunday afternoon as I am usually found plugging away at work, with no time to waste. But I did take one today. And had a really productive day after I got up. I've been wanting or possibly threatening to get some plants in the ground. To make the likelihood of surviving cold weather better, even though trying to plant them during such a desperately dry fall is not wise. I hope I can keep them watered and they will adapt, grow roots while appearing dormant over the winter.

I planted some stuff that has been lingering on the floor of the carport for weeks, dug up at the home of a generous friend. Who will hopefully not read this and know that those plants laid around getting crisp and crispier for so long before finally getting in the ground today. Also the two milkweed plants I got from the guy at the Day Center yesterday. He gave host plants to all the participants of the Monarch workshop, and let me take home the two that were leftovers/extra.

Dug up some foxglove to relocate, replace some along the back edge of the bed in front of the house that did not survive the blistering hot summer. Something else to try to keep watered during this dry, dry, dry season. Put a lantana that has been sitting around getting pot-bound for months, in the edge of the woods, where it will get lots of sun, and hopefully attract the nosey attention of hummers, bees and butterflies. I'll be happy to see them put their little snouts down in those colorful blooms. Took a couple of forget-me-nots I had started from seeds out of the pot and put them in the ground, to water for the next few weeks.  Trying to get everything in the ground, so I won't have to keep watering, dragging hoses around, coiling them up again before the mow'n'blow guys come along...

One lantana, two forget-me-nots, two butterfly weed, three ornamental, yummy smelling ginger, four foxgloves - and a partridge in a pear tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment