Monday, October 27, 2014

my day got away...

... and I did not do any of the stuff I had planned to get accomplished. I went across town early this  morning, to go with TP to a dr. appt. By the time I got there, it was fifteen minutes before the actual appointment time, and it was nearly over. He had a little place on the side of his head that he brought to the dermatologist' attention. And it was taken care of, they were just being chatty by the time I was delivered back to the little cubicle.

My phone rang shortly after I left the dr. office, and it was someone on the staff of a school on the south side of town, desperate for a substitute teacher. I agreed I could get down there, but said it would take me an hour to get there. Knowing I wanted to get home first and find some lunch to take along. I got to the school about ten o'clock, went in the office to sign in and was told/reminded that the way the GA pre-K program is set up, the guidelines specify there will always be two adults in the classroom. I can think of lots of reasons for this - and honestly: think it is not a bad idea, for all teachers to have a back up. Like every parent needs someone to be part of a tag-team: someone is on duty, while the other is resting, preparing for the next shift.

The admin. assistant who called me, and was so happy to see me come in the door, thanked me four times before I could get out and down the hall to the classroom. She said that if it was discovered they did not have two adults per room, the state could shut the program down - which I assume means withholding funding. I remember talking to a pre-K teacher some years ago, who said that the program requires one adult per ten kids. So if there are eleven children in the class, there has to be two adults, and if there are twenty one, they would have to put three adults in the room. I don't expect any teacher would agree to dealing with twenty-plus four-year-olds, no matter how many para-pros there were available for crowd control.

Anyway: spent most of my day with four year olds. Pretty well behaved, and a good teacher that seemed to have mastered the ability to manage/control her students.  It's the nature of four year olds to be distractible and bouncy, but they were a good class.

And left there to go by the church and do a bit of paper-cutting to make a decoration for that Sunday School class I have been creating illustrations for to help the teacher with demonstrating her Bible verse for the month. This coming month, in November, the verse is Psalms 111:1, I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart.  All the teacher wanted for illustration purpose was a big tree, with no leaves. I assume she will either make hand-prints to put on the tree for colored fall leaves, or give them cut outs to color and stick up on the leaf-less tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment