Thursday, October 23, 2014

a funny story about the funny stories...

... happened today when I was substitute teaching in a second grade classroom. I'd gotten the call several weeks ago, and agreed to go and spend the day at a magnet school. Thinking that when I had done this type thing in past years, the teachers were all in a grade-level workshop, in the media center. Not even leaving the building, but devoting their day to some sort of in-service training. Not true this time, as I understand they were all at Columbus State attending a training.

When I got there, we began the day at 8:00. With me not knowing the kids, or their routine, or what to do about little details that are an important part of the early morning drill: taking roll (has to be done on the teacher's personal, school issued computer) and lunch count (you first have to find out what the menu for the day would be prior to asking who wants what) .Then various other things that happen right off the bat: pledge, singing, announcements that won't happen without the Smartboard, that can't happen without the computer. Which is not all bad, as I would not know how to start it anyway due to being technically challenged.

As you might know, from time spent with small people around this size and age, they still enjoy telling everything they know, and love to be able to inform adults when they appear to blunder around, floundering due to lack of knowledge. So I had plenty of guidance throughout the day, correcting my every mistake, as I would attempt to proceed to do tasks out of order, or 'not the way Ms. T does'.  But all in all, it was a good day, with pleasant, well manner youngsters who were for the most part agreeable and cooperative.

Something made me think about the recent blogs about fishing fiascoes, so I told them about my blog, and the stories I shared here. I think it came up when someone said: you sure do like to use big words. I agreed that I could get wordy, and admitted that I do enjoy writing and using a varied vocabulary.  And told of recent writings, reminiscing about the time Papa got hooked and how desperately I did not want to skewer the worm, but did it anyway. They enjoyed my stories, but of course, had their own to tell, in an effort to get completely off track/task, and wandering out into space on unrelated tangents.

No comments:

Post a Comment