Wednesday, October 15, 2014

the third day...

...of my training to un-learn everything I know(about cooking) , and practice my newly indoctrinated skills as an Apron's food demonstration/serving/sales person. Will be challenging and anxiety inducing. I actually cooked and served yesterday afternoon, under the supervision of my trainer and another young girl who is experienced, came in from another store. A recipe that I never in a bazillion years would have cooked otherwise. Salmon - something I do not eat, and would not prepare unless I was well paid for the experience. It's just too fishy.  I suspect the recipe had enough stuff added to the pan to make it palatable even for those of us who are not seafood afficiandos, but I didn't taste it so don't know for sure.

So I came home with another headache, took drugs, got a cold beer and went to bed before 9:00. Needless to say, I was awake at 12:30, wandering around the house, doing things that are recommended for sleep, trying to turn my brain off. Today I will be thrown in to see if I can swim. It is not just without supervision/moral support, but a new recipe as well.

I have already taken a double dose of Tylenol and will think positive thoughts. I am currently trying to convince myself that the lack of anyone who will stand around and offer suggestions and encouragement is to my advantage. I clearly remember my early years as a floral person, when there really was not anyone who knew what I was supposed to be doing. Over time I discovered as long as I could keep myself busy and looked like I knew what I was doing, management people pretty much left me alone.  Which will likely happen today, though I am sure they will stroll by and check on me - especially if I am cooking up something that catches the attention of their noses.

While I fumble through the learning process, figuring out what and how, the sequence of events to make everything ready to serve at the same time. I guess it will be good that there is no one standing there watching, observing as I  muddle through. Making  notes on the ensuing confusion. And I am sure there will be plenty of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment