Monday, October 6, 2014

it's a mess...report on 'C.'

... though I could use several other words to describe the situation with my auntie. I'm understandably reluctant to provide details, as it is difficult to judge how much information, published, would be considered 'too much'. Often finding myself the recipient of what I consider 'too much information', I have become very conscious, over time, when people are wanting to share facts and personal news that does not need to become common knowledge.

It's probably not uncommon to realize that as we age, we all tend to be both more tender-hearted and more squeamish. When people I care for receive discouraging news related to health or problems of family members, I find  myself trying to look at life challenges from their perspective, and wanting   to be both objective and sympathetic.  She's received some really undesired, unpleasant news that will affect her lifestyle, requiring major changes. But also oddly not 'traumatic' in a medical way, in the sense that it was not really health related, as you often do receive hugely distressing info. when you go for the 'follow up' office visit to get result of testing/scans/labs. Hers was related to changes the doctor feels that she needs to make to maintain health and safe living conditions.

My cousin and I are profoundly thankful that it came out of his mouth. As difficult as these statements were to hear, I am so grateful the doctor was the 'bearer of bad news' instead of the relatives (almost exclusively my cousin and myself) who will be the recipients of the fallout when she has to make the necessary changes in her life. I remember hearing another cousin telling an amusing story of taking her dad and aunt to get driving licenses renewed, when both had poor eyesight. With vision failing so badly neither should have been behind the wheel of a two-thousand pound vehicle, they sat in the waiting area, trying to memorize the series of letters as other patrons read them out. Hoping to recall with sufficient accuracy to be awarded another five year permit that would allow them to endanger the lives of everyone on the road.

My auntie claims good health, though she has had several back surgeries, both hip joints replaced and other surgeries to repair injured limbs. None of which would be considered unusual or excessive for someone her age. She reports that her 'organs' do not have any medical problems, though lab work tells otherwise. She is understandably reluctant to make changes: aren't we all? Especially when forced upon us, not of our timing, preference, choosing? But circumstances dictate that changes will have to be made - for her own safety as well as others around her, if she continues to insist upon driving. More to come as this unfolds over time...

No comments:

Post a Comment