Tuesday, February 11, 2014

tale of the cat, part 5

Poor little undernourished, lean and skinny Lucy has continued to be mostly immobile, seeming very lethargic. Even though I have been trying to give her the meds. she is supposed to be ingesting twice a day - which means 'angry cat x 2'. So I decided I should take her back to the vet to gain the benefit of the expert's opinion. Which came to a total of $318. and odd cents. Indicating the vet has a pretty high opinion  of herself.

She still has that fluid that is collecting around her heart, meaning that the muscle can no longer do what it was designed to do. And that causes her to struggle to breath, making her appear that she is panting all the time, looking labored. And me wanting to provide relief. I was thinking when I was driving her to the vet's office that I have not ever had the experience of taking someone to the Dr. who you could not expect to improve with the administering of the recommended medications. You take your kids, when you see that the problem is beyond your amature skills, but they get diagnosed, dosed and fully recovered.

I am having a hard time becoming reconciled to the fact that a feline at this age is not going to 'get better'. That I should do what I (and medications) can to make her comfortable. I continue to feed her things she has trained me to provide. Not necessarily those that are good for a feline digestive tract, but that stuff that she has caused me to use to placate her demands, when she sits on the kitchen floor and talks to the 'fridge.  Sitting there, as if saying 'open sesame', demanding the opposable thumbs provide a saucer of milk, or a dollop of yogurt or cottage cheese. That's what we are here for, right? to fulfill the demands of the cats?

It will hopefully be a bit easier now, that I don't have the challenge of putting a pill in that little pink mouth with all the sharp teeth. The new med. is topical, to be rubbed on the inside of her pointy little ear, avoiding her pointy little incisors. I want this to work, and for her to be more amenable to what I have been instructed (expensively) to do to make her existence easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment