Friday, February 21, 2014

Mr. Murphy strikes again...

I don't know all the particulars of Murphy's Law, but understand that the general premise is that what ever you plan will roll over the edge of a cliff at an increasing speed, a la Thelma and Louise. Best intentions go awry.  In the sense that we rarely take the reality of gravity into our human planning, somehow expecting that it will not apply in our special set of circumstances... though we know that 'gravity is always in effect'.

I found myself with a day on my calendar that did not have any particular plans. (Which I will assume is a sign that I am supposed to go to the movies this afternoon.) So I started trying to find a substitute teaching job for today. It is a rare day when I do not get a call, both early and late from the computer that fills absences, looking for someone to occupy space in the public school classrooms on short notice. If there was any sort of popularity contest as far as volume of calls on the phone in my pocket - 'sub-finder' would be the runaway winner, easily. I ignore/delete more calls from the MCSD computer than any other source.

But I could not find anything to occupy my time today. Even tried this morning, hoping something might be out there waiting today. I don't think it is possibly possible that everyone of the thousands of teachers in the school system is healthy and in attendance on this cold, rainy day. But it's apparent the ones who are still abed had planned in advance, since I could not find any little holes in any classroom that needed to be filled by me!

No comments:

Post a Comment