Friday, February 14, 2014

it only looks unclean...

I have a relative who plans to relocate, and was cleaning out some cupboards, expecting to downsize. Trying to decide what to keep and what to toss/donate to the thrift store. Several pieces of bake ware that I think could possibly be considered 'collector's items', in that it is no longer produced. Nothing even remotely fancy, but things that are very handy for kitchen use. Just the right size to put an extra meal in when you have left overs from a casserole. Perfect to cover, pull out of the fridge and pop into the micro. for a quick, easy meal.

She loaded several of this little single-serving size dishes up in a box, then realized she had no where to put them in her cupboards - and offered them to me. I declined, citing the same problem. But when she said she was going to take the whole box full of dishes to donate to Goodwill, I panicked. Thinking there are no more of the little Corning Ware 'grabits' to be had, and decided I could use, would take a couple of the ones she no longer wanted.

When  got home, I had three dishes, wrapped in newspaper, I had just put in the back of my car, without looking at what she was giving. I brought them in the house, unwrapped, and found something that was pretty unbelievable. Not at all what I would think of giving to some one - especially not in the condition I received it. I would probably be embarrassed to be donating it to the thrift shop looking like it does...even with the assurance of complete anonymity.

This is actually what it looked like after I took it out of the dishwasher. So I know it's 'clean'. But still looks like something I'm not sure I would even want to use to feed the cat, much less spoon my soup from.


I know what happened: but am still completely astounded that she was so willing to give away something in that condition. Not quite the same as returning the dish or pan when someone has brought you a casserole, dish of deviled eggs, or plate of brownies without washing it (and refilling) first, but pretty dang tacky from my point of view. It is obviously the dish she would have used frequently to make iced tea, boiling the water in the micro., adding tea bags to steep until she was ready to pour up. But can you imagine not bothering to clean it before passing it along?

No comments:

Post a Comment