Thursday, February 27, 2014

crossing the border...

541 miles over three days. I left Columbus on Tuesday afternoon, following working for six and a half hours, and cooling my heels at the vet's office for over an hour. Drove to Decatur to spend the night, planning to get up early on Wed., and drive to Greenville to visit my pen pal. Which I did. We had a good day, puttering around. I took the ingredients for blueberry muffins, with some of the berries I had picked off he bush in my backyard and put in the freezer. We had still warm muffins, and immediately left the house to go across town for lunch at Chic-fil-A.

H. wanted to the branch library to print an article off the internet. He had several pages a friend  had found about the troop transport he was on when he went from NY to England during the war, and wanted 'the rest of the story'. So we googled up the USS George Washington. Pretty interesting (personally, as my dad was on it too!) to find that it was built as a luxury liner, but pressed into service in both World Wars to transport troops from the US to Europe.

Roamed around a bit, looking for picture postcards with local photos. I'm admitting now I did not get many as I find it very difficult to pay a dollar or more for something that will require another forty cents to mail. I'm all for the rack that has 4 for $1, but that little gift shop that had them marked $1.50 each caused me to laugh out loud, and make a quick exit.  We usually go to the cemetery to visit Mrs. Dot, but it was cold so we didn't get there this time.

I'm sure I have mentioned a cousin who relocated from the Atlanta area to the Greenville SC area last summer? I'd hoped to see her as well, and thanks to my very useful GPS (sorry I said so many unkind things about the likelihood of being led astray) found her too. She had relocated from apt. living into a house, and seems to be semi-settled in. There was a dreadful problem going on as I left there in the dark: a couple of Latino workers, with muddy boots, shovels, a back hoe digging up the front yard, looking for a leaking pipe. Having removed a huge chunk of concrete from the driveway, making me thankful it was not happening at my house. And she is, I am sure, thankful she is a renter instead of a homeowner, so it's not her problem either! But it would be nice to be assured of a hot shower, and flushing capability.

No comments:

Post a Comment