Wednesday, February 5, 2014

ice/snow 'storm' story

When I went to work on Sunday, I saw a photo posted by the time clock that was both interesting and, I think, pretty amazing. I 'm not sure where it was taken, but assume some place in metro Atlanta area. Not necessarily something that is 'peculiar' or limited to the sort you would only find in the southern quarter of the United States. But it is something that I believe you are much more likely to find in the Land of Consideration and Common Courtesy (traits that I believe are sadly becoming non-existent and so rare as to be considered 'collectors items').

The photo was a copy that came in an email, and had a caption printed above it that said something really unusual in Corporate America. The wording started with 'God Bless Publix', and went on to explain that this particular store pictured had stayed open all night to provide shelter for people who were stranded. Customers, passers-by and staff alike - anyone who could not get to their intended destination due to icy roads and snarled traffic. And below the wording was a photo of people sleeping in the aisles. Slumped over, or curled up, or just slowly sliding onto the hard terrazzo floor. But thankful for a warm dry place to rest until they could do differently.

As much as I tend to gripe about problematic work situation on a personal level, I know it is a good place to work: I would not still be there otherwise. And on a corporate level, even though the Spirit of Publix has changed dramatically since I have been an associate, the reputation was built on going the extra mile, providing superior customer service. Which is what happened last Tuesday night, when hundreds of people found themselves sleeping on the floor of a grocery store.. and thankful for that choice.

I'm sure you could find this photo, and many others demonstrating extreme measures people took lsast week under great stress and duress. But I think seeing a business willing to keep the lights on and doors open all night to come to the aid of those in need is pretty remarkable. A bit of human kindness you just don't see every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment