Saturday, February 1, 2014

going to a GS meeting...

When I reminded T.P. I would be travelling today, going to a GS meeting, he inquired about the schedule. I said I was riding with someone else, and my job was to be in the right place at the right time to meet the driver. He is forever asking about when I am leaving, and when I will return. I think primarily to have some assurance that someone will show up to prepare the food. So he can have confidence there will be someone around to call him to the table. He's the guy who perpetually says: 'call me anything you want, but don't call me late for dinner.'

I told him that I did not know what the schedule for the meeting is, that it is about ninety minutes away, at a Scout Camp in the center of the state. Which is also pretty centrally located for the Girl Scouts of Historic Georgia Council. The council here in Columbus once was limited to a dozen surrounding counties.  After realignment a couple of years ago, and a name change, it now spans the state from 'coast to coast' (meaning Savannah to the Chattahoochee River - alternately known as Georgia"'s West Coast). The meeting place is near Macon, at a camp that has in recent years built a very attractive conference center, so it's more than screened in cabins, filled with cobwebs, and a rustic, open-air dining hall.

I told him, when he was questioning, that not only did I not know the  agenda, I was not driving, so had no control over when we would be leaving after the conclusion of business. He said"Oh, so not only do you not get to drive the train, you don't even get to blow the whistle?!!" (This being written, just as I hear a train whistle blowing at the cross a mile away, where the tracks parallel Macon Rd.)

So let me get my shoes on and go to the store to meet my ride in the parking lot...

No comments:

Post a Comment