Sunday, February 9, 2014

plugging away....

I have been working at my little jobette for over sixteen years, most of which has only been as a part-timer. Starting with not wanting to take more time away from family, when daughters were still in school - wow! Has it been that long? And now, even though more income would be really nice - not wanting to be committed to punching the clock any more than I do. I feel confident if I were willing to work in another area of the business, I could get more hours, but none of that interests me enough to devote my time in pursuit of the extra income.

Much of my 'career' at this little two-day a week endeavor has required me to work on Sundays. Not my choice for sure. But a choice my co-worker made years ago: he wanted to be off work on Sundays to spend the time with his mom. As is true with any job, I understood that in order to be employed, it was necessary to be available when I was needed: so I made myself content with Sunday work.

But for some reason, since early summer of last year I have been scheduled for work at 8:00 or 9:00 or 10:00, making it impossible for me to go to a nine o'clock church service. I did not question the department manager's reason, assuming there was one. And guess part of it was to have me there earlier to do prep work, have the area of fresh, custom made salads and yogurt-fruit parfaits looking full and ready for self-serve customers.

I recently, after the first of the year, decided to gather up my gumption and have a discussion with the department manager about my desire to go to church. He doesn't attend and apparently does not care if anyone else would like to go. He's been very hard to talk to, always making me feel like I was being a pest/nuisance when I would approach him about anything. Which would, understandably make me try to keep my distance. But I did talk to him, and he seemed agreeable. So I went to church a couple of weeks ago, for the first time since last June.

It was actually pretty funny. Lots of people who usually see me sitting in my usual spot on Sundays stopped by and greeted me as if I were a stranger, welcoming me to' come back and visit again real soon, now ya' hear?' It was good to be back in the right place on Sunday morning.

And now he's gone. Moving to NC to work in the new stores they are opening in a new district. And according to my store manager, the new boss who came in for his first day on Saturday, is 'a good Christian man', so I am looking forward to regular church attendance in the future. Still, I am sure working on Sunday mornings, but doing it with someone who is, I hope a bit more agreeable and flexible. I already like Jimmy a whole lot better. Think he is more experienced in the position, a better manager and hopefully more compassionate and caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment