Thursday, February 20, 2014

it is, I think...

...due to the number of happy, smiling things I see blooming out in my yard - surely it must be Spring! The hyacinths are coming up, peeking out of the ground, in white, pink and 'hyacinth' blue, just now starting to open up enough to ascertain the different colors. They were all 'rescues', bulbs that had bloomed out in the Floral Shoppe. I was supposed to be putting in the dumpster after they faded to the point of un-salable.

But I did not. Instead, they somehow ended up in the parking lot in my car.  So I  brought them home, planted in various places around the yard. Mostly up close around the house, in beds where I could enjoy seeing them re-bloom year after year. Last spring was the best ever for showy colors - in a bed just out from the north side of the house, where I can see them when we sit and eat in the dining area. Glorious!

And lots of daffodils of various sizes popping open. I am not an expert and do not know the names for all the varieties, but am delighted to see all them dressed in their spring colors, with petticoats ablaze in bright shades of yellow. Some no bigger than a sewing thimble, some almost as large as a teacup, some with multiple petals inside the flat saucer part, rather than just the usual 'cup',  that I've heard referred to as 'scrambled eggs'.

I  had doubts about bulbs that have been forced to bloom early under artificial lighting in a greenhouse preforming when naturalized. But figured I had nothing to loose except a few minutes of time when I was digging holes and getting them planted. So have been pleasantly surprised to see them come up and put on a show - just now getting started in the past few days with oddly warm weather and bright sunshine encouraging them to wake up and come out of their dark bedding. In spite of what Puxawatney Phil proclaimed.

No comments:

Post a Comment