Monday, April 4, 2016

thinking about glue...

...when I was at work yesterday, talking with the guy who was making the yogurt parfaits. We have been making some with just plain old ordinary, every day yogurt for several years. Add some fresh fruit, and put a little packet of crunchy granola in the bubble top to add when you open it up for a tasty treat. A bunch of different flavors, like pineapple and blueberry or banana and strawberry, plus some seasonal things I would not recommend like peach (I guarantee it won't be ripe and sweet like south Georgia are supposed to be) or apple, with a little tub of caramel sauce to stir in.

The newest thing is using Greek yogurt. I don't like it. I don't like the smell. I don't like the texture, I don't like the taste. And yes, I know it's good for me. With lots of protein, that I will always lack as a result of not eating animals. But I still do not care to eat it. And now I see  how tenacious it is, like glue. You could probably actually use it for glue. There are places at work where it gets dripped, or spilled or splattered -like the carton that got dropped in the watermelon bin and nearly permanently attached the melon to the side of the bin. And someone went to answer the phone with some Greek yogurt on a glove, where it stayed on the receiver for weeks till I cleaned it off.  Just like glue.

Which got me to thinking today, when I was at work about making glue when I was a kid. The recipe had me mix a tablespoon of flour with a tablespoon of water, to add to a broth for thickening. Pretty much the recipe for glue when I was making some sort of last minute, due-the-next-day project for school. Desperate for something that would hold stuff together - and, quite truthfully, before you could run to the store and get a bottle, jar, tube of glue. It just did not exist. You didn't go to the store and get it because the store didn't have it. So you just had to make your own. Flour and water: presto!

No comments:

Post a Comment