Friday, February 27, 2015

she doesn't mind...

..telling it on herself, so I think/hope it will be acceptable for me to tell it as well, publishing for all the world to know. I'm thinking that if I just do not identify the 'alleged', perhaps I will not be in too much trouble when she reads this. The guilty party will certainly know to whom I refer, but hopefully after some time has passed, my retelling will not cause permanent damage to the relationship?

She told me the story some months ago, shortly after it happened. And recently reminded me of her experience, so I would like to believe enough time has passed that she can see the humor of the event and has already forgiven herself for a little absent-mindedness. I am thankful that she was willing to share about the incident, because it is a comfort to someone who is getting to the age of being seriously concerned about forgetting. Especially with a family history of memory problems.

She was away from home, working in a location that required her to sleep in a space not her own for the night. Went out to eat, enjoyed something really good, and could not eat it all. So had the extra food put in a take out box. Which she deposited in the little mini-fridge in her rented space. And put her car keys in the fridge with the box, so she would not forget to take it when she checked out the following morning. She searched and searched and searched for her keys the following day. Not even remotely thinking about the left-overs she had put in the fridge. Getting desperate, she called someone close to home, to ask if they would travel, drive the distance to bring spare key to her car.

Fortunately, before that occurred, she remembered. But I can readily identify with the feeling of total panic, desperation she must have felt, as I have on occasion been in that same predicament. You can too, I am sure, think of a time when you were pushing the clock, hurrying, bustling about to step out the door, and having to search and re-search. Patting your pockets over and over. For keys, or glasses, or phone, or whatever. Desperation and  mounting panic grabbing at your ankles. Urgently needing to get going, but unable to do so without the needed items.

She has a wonderful, delightful, endearing, hilarious sense of humor. So was more than willing to share her experience and tell other people about the incident. It would take a really long time for me to be admitting to something so .... what? Silly? Foolish? Absentminded?

She learned the Now Risky/debatable trick of putting your car keys in the fridge from a family friend years ago. Who would put  leftover casserole/potluck container in the fridge at church so he would be certain to take his dish home when he left. And it is a sensible idea, handy tip, smart move - unless you forget about opening the door of the refrigerator to get both your leftovers and car keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment