Wednesday, February 11, 2015

a quick trip......

...to Valdosta already this week. I drove down on Monday and came back on Tuesday. Even though I spent the night with my auntie, I was not in south GA twenty four hours. And sadly, discovering I don't bounce back as swiftly as my younger self would have, so even though I am up and dressed for work, I am kinda dragging. I will be working at least through next Wednesday, which makes for some pretty tiring prospects. But will also provide some nice padding to my banking situation.

My auntie had asked me to go along for a dr. appt. on Tuesday morning. I've been writing, talking, asking, suggesting for years about this. Trying to impress upon her the value of having another person along for  to support and be an advocate. She has let someone else go along on occasion in recent months, as events have precipitated a reason for her to need some assistance. I am a firm believer in the thought that an additional set of ears is essential for medical information. They are all trying to do a good job, but under the constant stress of knowing there are a dozen people waiting in line. So in the effort to herd the cattle through the slot, interaction and examinations can be cursory. A second person, somewhat disinterested party, can ask pertinent questions, get more specifics, request clarification.

So, even though I was surprised by her request, and not sure why she would want me to accompany her, I agreeably did. But that meant I had to be a work for nine hours (including lunch break), then drive to Valdosta after getting off work at 8 p.m. Not a particularly bright idea, but with an 8:45 appointment on Tues., it seemed like the thing to do. I was fine, perfectly alert, awake and all right for the drive. Until I got to Valdosta, and the last traffic light before the turn onto  her street. While waiting for the light to change from red to green, sitting there with my foot on the break, I am nearly certain I went to sleep. In about ten seconds. I made the left turn when the light changed, so the nap was only about fifteen seconds long.

The actual appointment was a non-event. The dr. she was seeing is an orthopedic surgeon. Who has done several surgeries on her person, so assumed she was there with shoulder problems. But she wanted to talk, so he listened. And sent us on our way.  I drove back home in the afternoon, and should have slept really well in my own bed... maybe it was the caffeine?

No comments:

Post a Comment