Friday, February 27, 2015

and another auntie story...

... about someone who has been saying for many years how much she likes to look at, read/study paper maps. Has always been able to spend hours pondering road maps, looking at towns, plotting a path, reading about places of interest. That seems to be history now. I gave her my most recent state  map, as she said she wanted a new one. Mine was the 'official' state map, published by the Department of Transportation, and acquired at the local welcome center up on the interstate highway.

We talked about her leaving, and I drew a picture/map to show how to get from my house down to Ft. Benning, for heading home today. She seemed so confused by the information on the paper, I told her I would drive, and she could follow. Thinking that if she stayed behind me until we got on the south side of town, I could pull off and she could be on her merry way. We did really well until we got down to exit 1. Where I veered on to the access ramp. Got onto the road that goes through government property and on towards , with no auntie in the caravan. For some unknown reason, she changed lanes and drove on post. I assume there is a turn-around before you get to the gate, where uniformed, armed personnel would ask you to 'state your business'.

I pulled off to wait, and be sure she found the right highway and would proceed on towards south GA. Standing along the edge of the asphalt, waiting to see her - she never even saw me. Was looking in the rearview mirror when she passed by, would not have seen me wave. But hopefully will eventually make it back to Valdosta. I've called and left a message on her home phone, asking her to call when she gets in...

No comments:

Post a Comment