Friday, February 6, 2015

cookin'...

...at work today: it was good and easy (for those amongst you who are shrimp eaters.) A salad, made with spring mix, the bagged stuff you buy RTU, and dump in the bowl, add toppings and consume. The yummy stuff on the one I was making today included some dried cranberries, cheese crumbles, and coarsely chopped cinnamon'd almonds. The shrimp was remarkably simple to make, just put them, shelled and de-veined, in a little bowl or zipper bag that has two Tbs. of 'shake and bake' barbeque flavored coating, along with 1 Tbs. of blackened fish seasoning. Put them in the hot oven (450) for about five or six min., and they are ready to serve. According to all the people who ate the shrimp, it is not too spicey. I would reduce the amount of the hot stuff by half if it were happening at my house - but your taste buds can probably tolerate more than mine...

Oh -  and to make the salad the best ever, you peel and cut up a navel orange, toss in a Tbs. of cinnamon sugar mix, and put that in the oven for four or five minutes, let cool, and add to salad. Then top it all with a drizzle a third of a cup of Vidalia Onion salad dressing.(Do not drink the salad dressing - even though it is good enough to pour over biscuits, you are not allowed to chug the whole bottle.)  I'm all for the salad without the shrimp - but that's not how the recipe goes. So if I was making it at my house, I would go right by the recipe, but use a cubed chicken breast to replace the shrimps I am not going to put in my mouth.

Good and Easy. A combo that is hard to beat. I think it is probably the easiest, quickest recipe I have put together since I started doing the demo. back in the fall. I was trying to save the zest from the oranges, for some as yet undetermined reason, but it goes together so fast when you are getting it ready to serve, I did not have time to shave the skin after the second time I made it. I don't know what I will do with dried orange zest, but it's got to be good for something? Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment