Thursday, February 19, 2015

distracted while reading... abt. American pie...

... sounds much better than a distracted driver who is texting, talking, dining out and smoking while driving. I tend to get started on several different things at the same time when I am reading.  Usually a book and a magazine, and some random stuff around the house. Confession: half my bed is covered with stuff I am reading, want to read, waiting for me to finish what I am currently reading, saving to share, forgotten why it is there.

Remember me, the person who does not watch tv?  Even though my computer usually sits on the dining table, in the same room as the tv, I try my best not to look. It is so compellingly addictive. You can sit and watch junk for hours, turn your brain into mush. While being convinced it is something really worthwhile, like a mystery/crime show (with much too much of the 'show' and gruesome stuff). Where you -are completely convinced you can out-think the script writers and figure who-done-it before the lead characters uncover all the evidence leading to the alleged suspect.

I think the thing that inspired me to start the book I am working on now was hearing a song on the radio. Which is pretty odd, as I am usually listening to a book on CD or public radio. I must have been without a book, and nothing interesting on my public radio station, ie: classical music.  As luck would have it, I found an oldies station, and heard 'American Pie', the fifth most popular song of All Time. Those who know me well, can safely assume I had a little sing-a-long.

I was so interested in knowing more about Don McLean, or just deciphering the meaning of the song: you guessed it - googled him up. And discovered there is a biography. Which I requested from the ILL program, and eventually received on loan from Cal. Poly. Tech. I've been reading intermittently for a couple of weeks. You'll want me on your team for the Trivia game.

In case you are curious beyond words: from "The Don McLean Story: Killing Us Softly With His Songs" by Alan Howard:  "In 2001, the Recording Industry Association of America and the National Endowment for the Arts complied a list of the 365 'Songs of the Century'.
'Over the Rainbow' by Judy Garland
'White Christmas' by Bing Crosby
'This Land is Your Land' by Woody Guthrie
'Respect' by Aretha Franklin
'American Pie' by Don McLean."

I read about the free concert Garth Brooks did in Central Park, inviting McLean to come and sing. I googled, wanted to see it on Youtube.  Got distracted and watched an hour long video of people talking about 'Mr. Guitar', Chet Atkins. Atkins loved, loved, loved McLean's 'Vincent'. I saw a clip of them playing together. That one is worth watching, for the amazing sounds coming from Atkins guitar.

"American Pie" is circling, circling, circling around  and around in my brain, will not leave me alone....

No comments:

Post a Comment