Wednesday, February 18, 2015

cookin' at wurk....

today... which is  my last day to work at the different store, as well as my last day of work for this week. I am so happy I could just fall right into bed.... and not necessarily just from the happy part.

A new recipe started today. If you live in a state adjoining GA, you got the recipe in your newspaper today in the grocery advertisements. It is for a soup, and a dessert. The soup was sort of odd, to my way of thinking: when you serve it, you are instructed to put a helping of green salad on top, as well as a scoop of ricotta cheese. So, needless to say, I got some pretty strange looks when I was serving this dish to customers. But also got a lot of compliments, (who's gonna say: 'this is awful!' when they are eating free food???) so I guess it was pretty good. I literally gave every drop of it away, so never had the chance to taste it myself. But it had something in it (meat-y) I would not have cared to put in my mouth, so I'm not distressed about never getting to give it a try.

Got lots of good feedback from the Lasagna soup recipe - cold and damp and windy weather is a good day for a warming friendly pot of soup. The strange part is what I had to put on top. Some asked to leave it off, some asked to have it on the side, some just ate around it...but I think most are like the guy here, who will eat almost anything you put in front of him.

Lasagna soup insalata

(I was making 1/2 of the recipe each time, so  my measuring was less than precise)
1 pound mild Italian sausage, bulk (or casing removed)
1/2 cup baby carrots, sliced
8 oz. trinity mix (diced onions, bell pepper, celery, abut 1/4 cup each if doing it yourself)
1 24 oz. jar tomato based pasta sauce
1 32 oz. carton unsalted chicken broth
1/2 cup sundried tomato pesto
1 9 oz. pkg. mini cheese ravioli
1 8 oz. pkg. baby kale salad kit with toppings and dressing
6 Tbs. part skim ricotta cheese

Preheat stockpot, brown sausage (I tried to get most of the grease off before adding other ingred.) Chop carrots. Stir in vegetables: trinity mix and sliced carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally till mostly done. Stir in broth, pasta sauce, pesto. Turn down heat, let simmer for about 10 min, stirring. Stir in pasta, cook 4-5 min.. Chop salad greens. I( put in a bowl and used the kitchen scissors, then added toppings, tossed). Serve the soup with greens and a tablespoon of ricotta on top. Makes six servings.

I'm thinking: anything with sundried tomatoes and cheez ravioli is good, so I would make it with chicken or turkey, and not tell the other person who is eating it., who would probably not notice and never know the difference.

Stay tuned for the dessert that should only be available with a prescription.

No comments:

Post a Comment