Monday, June 9, 2014

thrown together dinner...

I was hoping to get back from TN this morning to go to church before having to be at work. And remarkably, I got to town right about that time. Left Chattanooga about 5:20 and got to church about 8:45. Went on to work as soon as church was over. Put in a long day doing what needed to get done. And came home, to find a man sitting in a chair waiting for someone to feed him.

I wanted to suggest he think about what I had been doing all day, as compared to what had been going on with him. To see if he could figure out who was responsible for meal prep. To think about who the someone might be.  After someone had been at work, on her feets all day long - and not at all pleased to get home and find no one had given food a thought. Of course, the 'thought' usually consists of a question:  Where do you want me to take you out to eat? And of course, after I have been away from home for three days, do I want to go anyplace? No.

Remember the story of The Little Red Hen? That was me, all over again today. When I drove halfway across the state and then worked all day.  You can imagine I was not particularly pleased with the prospect of putting a meal together for someone who had sat in front of the television all afternoon.

I know there surely must have been times when I failed. When he worked and expected to come in the door to a home cooked meal, peace and tranquility.  During the era of raising kids, there were days I did not have the strength or notion to put a meal together and have us all sit down together, like the family experts recommend. But by and large, I think we did that 'family dinner' more than not. I am beginning to believe the shine has finally worn off that particular idea.

Prepare I did: finding stuff in the freezer, in the pantry and throwing it all together. I think he probably knew any complaints, criticisms, commentary would result in his food being unceremoniously relegated to the trash. I've gotten pretty good at stockpiling components in the freezer and pantry to be able to throw a meal together in under thirty minutes, as long as you are not picky. And occasionally willing to settle for a deliciously greasy grilled cheese and bowl of soup from a can. I would be perfectly content at least four days a week with having a bowl of most anything: cereal, oatmeal, soup for my evening meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment