Monday, June 2, 2014

little birdies...

... are flitting all over the place out the window. Stuck inside the screening on the porch, which the mama used to her advantage when she built that nest in my hanging pothos plant. But now to her detriment when the babies cannot figure out to get from one side to the other. I can imagine how annoyed she is: 'you can see me, and hear me when I call you, so why don't you come?' But the screening that was excellent protection while the eggs were being laid, and she was nesting is now a big obstacle.

I have been watching the drama while sitting here at the table. Actually went out to catch one, with still bits of fluffy down stuck to it's feathers, and help it out the door. That did not go well. I am surprised the little thing did not have a heart attack from stress... but it finally got out, and into the safety of the forsythia bush by the back gate. There were five eggs total the last time I got up my nerve to take a peek, assume they all hatched.

I could hear the parents furiously chirping - which was what gave me the knowledge something was afoot. I got up to look out, saw them busily flitting to and fro, with copious quantities of what I took to be the 'encouragement song'. I will go get my flashlight and take a look, but hope that the nest is empty.  I see them flying out in the yard, so assume they have all made the transition.  Otherwise I will be startled into arrhythmia when one comes swooping out of the nest right in front of my face.

Later... sadly: there is one egg still in the nest. I guess decided that 80% was a pretty good average. I don't see them flitting around, or hopping from shrub to shrub for cover. So I guess when they 'tried their wings' everything was in working order. Wondering now if they ever return to the nest? I guess that with brains that size, everything they do in life is instinctual, and when they hop out into first flight, the memory of 'home' is history. I recall having heard that there are some birds that mate for life, and some that return to the same site year after year, refurnishing the same nest and starting over with a new clutch of eggs. But do those bird-brains ever miss having a mom to take care, feed, clean, tend to their every need?

No comments:

Post a Comment