Thursday, June 26, 2014

squash...

I am very fond of squash. Better in a casserole than any other way. I am not so excited about eating it fried: too greasy. But cook it till tender, put in some other goodies, and bake it: I could probably eat squash seven days a week. In fact: I just have.

Some one gave me a big bag of fresh, home-grown last week, and I started cooking. Put most of it in a casserole I dragged across the state on Saturday to the family gathering. So I would have some vegetables to eat when everyone else was eating meat. (Also took salad makings we stopped and bought over there in east GA at a little IGA store in Sparta, to avoid being hungry when they were having all the illicit stuff that goes with BBQ.)

There was a lot of squash left over, so  I brought it home, and have had some for lunch every day, either at work or not. The best is a recipe my grandmother used to make, that I do not have a recipe for. I can tell you how to make it, but don't think the ingredients were ever measured, to give an idea about how much of this and that you would use to make it perfect.  The  traveling squash casserole that went across the state and back is from my sister-in-law, who loved to feed her family, and loved to share when people said: "this is so good, tell me how you made it?"

Jane  Sanders Callan's Squash Casserole

2 quarts sliced summer/crookneck yellow squash
1 large onion, diced
Cook together until tender, drain well.
Add 1/4 stick butter, salt and pepper.
Mix one can of  cream of chicken soup with 1 egg, plus 1/4 of a sleeve of crumbled saltine crackers.
Spoon into baking dish, top with parmesan cheese.
Bake at least 30 minutes, 45 is better, in a 350 oven.

I had such a bait of squash, from a friend, I made enough to completely fill a 9 x 13 baking dish. Plus putting several quart bags in the freezer. It got to the point that I was hoping I would not soon receive such a nice gift again.  I had so much, I readily admit that I did some adlibbing with the recipe... as any cook will do who thinks they can improve on a good recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment