Monday, June 2, 2014

Savannah and back...

It was not so bad. Mostly because I was not driving. It was long, and exhausting. How can doing nothing be so tiring? How can sitting, watching the landscape fly past wear you out? In the same way that flying halfway around the globe makes you think you should take you brain out of your skull and fluff it up to get it straight? Make you think it has been mysteriously turned completely around and needs to be readjusted?

We left Decatur about 9:00. I said I would walk the dogs whilst others got their ducks in a row. So we headed out east on I-20. Which I thought was odd. The last time I noticed: I-20 takes one to Augusta, not Savannah. After we had been on the road a while, I made this observation: 'I assume you know what you are doing, but I think Augusta is about 120 miles north of where you want to be?'  Whereupon progress came to a screeching halt. With a bit of research and googling, GPS'ing, we were back on track. A nice drive through the countryside.

Arriving in Savannah around 1:00. A scramble to get needed tickets: they really were necessary. I don't believe we could have entered the auditorium without them.  I can't believe there was a concern about not having sufficient seating, as there were quite a few unoccupied. But it certainly was not necessary to keep the riff-raff out. I am certain you had to have a vested interest in attending to want to sit through that. So I'm not sure why they thought there might be gate crashing.

We somehow failed to eat lunch in the hurry to get across town to acquire necessary admittance. And I was not aware that the bag of Cheezits and root beer qualified. So after all the commencing we ate at: McDonald's. You probably know how much I don't love McD. But was so hungry, bordering on zero blood sugar, I happily scarfed down a 390 calorie fried fish. Then we were to go to B's place and eat again. Fortunately it took a couple of hours to get food prepared, so it was not actually two meals back to back. But I was pretty miserable on the ride back to Decatur... groaning in the back seat.

It was good to see B's dad, have a chance to talk with him. We have several people in common, and had time to share information. It was close to 9:00 p.m. when we left Savannah, so well after midnight when we got back to Decatur. I had to get up on Sunday morning to drive home, going to church , then work. I decided I really needed a nap - long before I got back to town, but fortunately actually got in the house to take one.

No comments:

Post a Comment