Tuesday, June 3, 2014

firefly research...

...'way too  much information. I was just curious to know if both sexes do the blinking stuff. And the answer is yes.  As I had assumed, and stated with great authority (sound familiar?)  Some females are doing it to attract other types of insects that turn into dinner. If you want to know more you will have to do your own googling.

And Yes is the answer to the query about the ones at the end of the street. Dozens and dozens, dazzlingly rising up from the grasses, putting on a mini-fireworks show. That was really neat, and as delightful as it was when I was so surprised by the performance I happened upon last night. Not the astounding conflagration I have read is such a big tourist attraction in the Smokey Mountains near Gatlinburg in the early summer..Where they are synchronized and mysteriously manage to blink on and off at the same instance by the hundreds. In doing my research, I find there is also a place in  a South Carolina National forest where they reportedly are equally impressive.

I failed to get there for the performance this year, but have made a note on my calendar, in order to get the requisite parking pass to get in the park. And fully intend to be there for the light show next year - right about this time, when they are strutting their stuff. Anyone want to go along?

No comments:

Post a Comment