Friday, June 27, 2014

the flowers, part 2

I really enjoy doing this stuff, and cannot say why it is that I get so stressed out. But trying to make myself get started is so difficult, and I find so many trivial things to do around the house while studiously avoiding that which must be done. Until I finally say to myself: "just do it", and jump right in and get busy.

It only took me a couple of hours to do the three corsages the bride wanted, and nearly complete the hand-held bouquets. There are five: one for the bride, plus the four attendants. I'll have to wait till nearly time for the event to do the satin ribbon wrap around the stems. That's about it for wedding party flowers. Nothing for the guys, nothing in the sanctuary.

A flower arr. for the food table at the reception in the church lobby/café area, that would have to be really big and showy. And some smaller bouquets to go on the tables that were to be laid with lime green cloths for people to sit, eat, chat. With plenty of colorful spray roses to make everything look cheerful and charming. Cut short and put in some neat little square glass containers, to look like nosegays centered on the green table cloth.

I'd decided there was no practical way I could take a huge arrangement to the church in my little car.  Knowing it would be nearly five feet tall when I added all the flowers and greenery to the urn that was already about eighteen inches and then some with a block of floral foam inserted: it would never fit. So after I got the stuff done this morning, I loaded up the bucket of flowers, the silver wine cooler, and some greenery I cut from around the yard and took it all to put together at church.  It looks really good. I am pretty pleased with myself. Also did those eight little arrangments that go on the round tables for guests.

I will have to go in the morning to take the three corsages (two servers and one mom) and the hand-held bouquets. They are in a bucket in the kitchen, still needing to have stems wrapped with navy blue satin ribbon. But getting that done, and getting them to the church by noon is all that I have left to do.  I can't do the wrapping part until the last minute, so the ribbon will not be wet when the brides and maids pick them up. I am so thankful, relieved to have it all behind me. I hope the roses will open up some more, so the bouquets will look really full and pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment