Wednesday, June 11, 2014

125...

not miles, but pints. Of All-American red blood. I'd like to think in addition to the red corpuscles, there is also an occasional 'flag-waving' blue and isn't there something in the mix that is sort of white as well? Which would really please me more than just fire-engine red.

I gave a pint at the ARC blood drive at church this afternoon. Our congregation does this four times a year, and I try to time my donations so I can give when the guys from the Red Cross are there collecting. About half the time when I take myself to the collection site and want to give, I am rejected, and disheartened to be wanting to donate and not have enough red for them to be willing to accept my offering. So I loaded up on iron for several days to be sure they would not make me feel unwanted.

I have been a donor for many years, starting with my living in Valdosta days. And have tried to keep up with how much I have made and given away. So according to my calculations, this pint was number 125. As you know, I am acutely math-impaired, so I cannot tell how many gallons that would be, but I'm guessing: pretty impressive. Did you know they sell their blood? I was astounded to realize that I am giving it to them and they turn around and sell the components, separate out the different parts, plasma and whatever, and sell my cheerfully given donation. Disturbing? Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment