Saturday, June 28, 2014

biscuits....

My friend PC and I go to pot luck dinners each month as part of the Emmaus community. Always at a church in the area, in places that have a big enough fellowship hall to hold a hundred or more people. There seems to be certain people who invariably, consistently bring the same thing each month to share. Someone comes with those 'ooey-gooey butter bars' that will put you in the hospital.  Another attendee brings a big crock pot full of beef stew, with lots of yummy vegetables and gravy. A friend who works for a pizza store always brings several varieties of large pizzas we dig into. There is always plenty, actually too much, food, in a great assortment.

I decided several weeks ago, at the dinner we went to over in Phenix City, that I should be bringing biscuits to sop up all the good gravy from the pot roast that is left over when we have fished out all the yummy beef and delicious vegetables. Knowing that is what certain people will always show up with, and we'd all be happy to eat biscuits and gravy for dessert (after eating dessert, of course!)
So I have concluded the 'thing' I would start bringing to each of the monthly events would be a pan of fresh baked biscuits.

I have this deadly recipe I found in a magazine (probably while cooling my heels in a doctor's waiting area) that I surreptitiously borrowed and folded up to put in my pocket. I only do that when the magazine is really old. If it is fairly new, I will ask the receptionist to make me a copy of a page, and leave it intact for someone else to swipe. The biscuits are so amazingly good, it's difficult to believe there are only three ingredients. But when you realize what's involved, you readily understand why these baked goods can be both delicious and deadly.

Reminding me of a family friend, who was an orthopedic surgeon... when he would occasionally get stuck doing a night in the ER, and see people come in at 3:00 a.m. with a particular set of symptoms, he called it: 'Biscuit Poisoning'. A classic result of eating a great big plow-hand breakfast every morning for forty years. Then being awakened in the wee hours, with mysterious aches as arteries slowly became completely occluded over time from monumental amounts of cholesterol.

Paula Deen's Cream Biscuits
2 cups self-rising flour
1Tbs. sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (no substitutions)
Stir together. Turn out onto floured surface, fold and knead 5 -7 times. Pat out 1/2 inch thick. Cut with 3 inch cutter, place on greased pan with 1 inch between biscuits. Bake at 500 for 10 minutes. Makes 10 - 12 biscuits.

My notes:  I patted mine a bit thinner and probably got close to 20 on the pan. Butter as soon as they are cool enough to pick up and eat, before anyone else knows they are out of the oven. You can probably get two or three before you get caught, and the competition for the remaining biscuits starts. The guy here, who had several before I took them away last night, said he thinks they are better than Angel Biscuits - which is saying A Lot.

Oh, and there is a cat named 'Biscuit' at the house on Eleanor St. in Decatur.

No comments:

Post a Comment