Friday, June 13, 2014

flag-waving...

When I went to the Just-A-Buck store recently, guess what happened?  I bought something I did not intend to purchase! Never happens to you, right? None of that Made-in-China stuff jumps into your hands, tempting you into spending twice what you meant? Nothing catches your eye and says: buy me? Of course not.

Think about it: the value of that stuff is practically nil. By the time they manufacture, package and pack into waterproof containers. Then load into a seagoing vessel, along with hundreds of other semi-trailer sized boxes, and ship it half-way around the world. Where it is unloaded and warehoused before being put a route, trucked to stores, and doubling the price for Americanized mark-up, and still you can purchase every-stinking-thing in the store for Just A Buck?  Really....

I don't even recall what I was going for. Not because I could not remember long enough to get in the car and drive to the store (which gets more likely every day!) I am sure I had a list - the only way I could do all that extensive remembering. But it's been a while, so I've been a couple of times since, and do not recall what that particular expedition was about.

What caught my attention was all that patriotic stuff cleverly placed near the doors to be so prominent you cannot ignore it when you walk in. Flags of various sizes, bunting, metallic/mylar signs, leis and shakers, table decorations, cups, hairbands, anything they could think of to print stars on. And some triangular pennants strung together on a ten foot long plastic strip. Made of mylar, so bright, shiny silver on one side, and printed with stars and stripes.

I bought two, thinking to tie them together and drape in the tree branches out near the street. To go along with my flag-painted mailbox. You know me. Pretty overt about patriotism. Willing to stand up and shout, or clap, or whistle when the marching band troops by, playing 'Stars and Stripes Forever', so

No comments:

Post a Comment