Tuesday, September 24, 2013

you'd think I'd learn...

I had been asking PS about making a plan to go to meet his brother in law and have lunch. He is getting along in years, living alone. Just thought it would be nice to see him, visit a bit, and see how he is doing. After asking him to make the call and set up lunch several times, he finally did - and we went to Ft. Valley today to meet for a meal at the Lane Southern Growers store.

I pass by there when I am headed east, making the drive to Savannah occasionally, and see lots of activity with people stopping to buy all manner of things made from local produce: peach jam, jelly, preserves, local honey, various tourist trapp-y things. Probably a popular stop for tour buses full of people who buy souvenirs, along with high carb., filling buffet meal, and peach-y desserts. Some of the kinds of stuff you'd see in those big pink-painted places on the beach where you have to walk through the open shark jaws to get in the store... junk made in China, like shot glasses, plates that say 'Georgia Peach' on them (though painted in Taiwan), burlap bags of pecans and peanuts from Asia, etc, etc. I've stopped a time or two and bought high-priced jars of peach jam to give for gifts.

So we left home about 10:00, with the plan to meet the BIL at noon. (Always early for everything.) Got there about 11:20, to find the BIL waiting for us - another always early guy. We had lunch, I ate too much - which is what always happens when I find myself eating from the buffet. I don't know if it is good or bad, but instead of something gooey and surgar-fied for dessert, I had another helping of fried okra. Not especially good - sorta soggy, but it was not peach cobbler with ice cream on top.

I should have known, that as soon as he finished eating, he would be ready to get back in the car and start for home. This is the guy that I so thoroughly warned about 'eat and run' back in the spring, he gave me the stink eye for hours while he waited for me to get ready to leave Decatur when we went for lunch on Easter. Also the guy who drove two and a half hours to Tallahassee to meet friends for lunch, and was ready to start driving again as soon as he put his fork down (because I forgot to tell him I was not playing the 'eat and run' game.)


No comments:

Post a Comment