Wednesday, September 25, 2013

in an effort to self-promote....

Operating on the theory that 'it pays to advertise', and in an effort to get as much attention as possible: I wore the  'Today's my birthday' pin/button to work. It was interesting that so few people actually looked at me today, but those who did offered best wishes.

I was leaving work, standing in the check out line, waiting for my turn, with a container of cut watermelon cubes in hand. The person behind me was  a complete stranger. The group behind her was a friend from church with two of her kids. When I turned around and spoke to Kelly, she said 'Is it your birthday?'. I said 'yes, do you want to sing to me?' So she did, along with me, and both her daughters. The woman in the middle started singing along. We had quite a nice sing-a-long going. Too bad there was no campfire and marshmallows involved...

The child, standing there with her mom, who was the complete stranger, asked 'Mom? Who is Fran?' when we got through. So the complete stranger introduced me to her mortified child.

Just to let you know that you are not the only people with a mom who can embarrass you half-to-death in the check out line at the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment