Monday, September 9, 2013

readily confessing...

There have been some pretty amusing things I have seen on YouTube, but most are more towards the mortifying end of the scale. Like when I did not want my kids to view the 'Funniest Home Videos' as the humor was at the expense of someone who would only be amused if the video they submitted was a cash prize winner. All the others: caught in dire circumstances for posterity.

I've seen some that were funny, and admit to laughing out loud at some of the things people (mostly relatives: you know who you are!) have forwarded for my entertainment.But by and large, I do not troll for video clips. Although those old ones from the Carol Burnett Show with Tim Conway will always tickle me, no matter how many times I see them. When you see the script fall apart on a comedy routine, when the pros crack up, and slide off the couch with the silly giggles, you tend to do likewise.

But: I heard this on the radio, during an interview, when I was traveling recently. And think it is so sadly, profoundly true it bears repeating. So here's the thing: "YouTube is the clearing for all of human stupidity".Video-ing for family amusement is one thing, but on the internet for the world's voyuerism is another matter entirely.  If you do something that lame, you need to be sure you are out of range of friends with cell phones, crazies with video cams, and probably keep the lights off, as GoogleEarth is probably peeping in your windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment