Sunday, September 15, 2013

a day in south GA...

I was so surprised when I received email from my brother, weeks ago, reporting plans to be in south GA, I did not have the presence of mind to ask about motivation. I had no idea why he would plan to make the trip. Therefore completely taken aback when I got the message that he was planning to be in Valdosta on Sept.13-14.After years of my telling anyone who would listen that I did not expect he would ever return to Quitman: there he was! Like a jini out of a bottle... sort of. (After a twelve hour drive from Virginia)

Brother and Wife drove with her dad to help him make a visit to her uncle in the Orlando area. The dad's brother had been part of the space/rocket industry for many years, arriving in central FL long before Walt Disney. So had some land that was very desirable as things 'developed' over the decades. They just wanted to get together and visit. So they spent Thursday driving to Valdosta, where they spent the night, and he left on Friday morning for FL, after putting them out at the car rental place.

Brother and Wife came to Quitman on Friday, we spent several hours working in the yard. I strongly suspect that hot, sweaty, dirty, gnat-y was not what he had planned, but they were both good sports and generous with their time and muscles. As usual, nothing really 'shows', in the sense of all the stuff we cleaned up, eliminated, piled up on the right-of-way for the city to pick up will soon vanish.

Even though the 'mission' was to help the pa-in-law get to central FL, I am delighted they are such good caring people I was a beneficiary of their efforts. I'm sure he enjoyed seeing his brother and family, and spending time reminiscing about their shared history/younger years. Probably can't remember what they did last week, but have wonderful yarns to tell from seventy-plus years ago.

I am thankful for their time. Some of my fav-o-rite people, that I do not see nearly often enough, so it was especially good to be with them. You remember me? I'm the one who thinks Time is our most valuable commodity - the thing we think we have the most of, blissfully willing to squander on things inconsequential, and truthfully, that thing we should be most careful with. Maybe even to the point of being jealous of it, covetous of how we invest it, definitely conscious of what we do with it.

Invest wisely. How we spend our days is how we spend our lives. What are you going to change?

No comments:

Post a Comment