Wednesday, September 11, 2013

the 374 mile round trip...

I set the alarm for 5:00 a.m. And probably woke up six times checking to be sure it wasn't time to get up yet. You know how you set the alarm to be sure you will wake up, then seem to awaken every hour, with some sub-conscious thought that you must have overslept, startle awake with heart racing, to check the time, and be sure you're not late? I did some of that.

I did not want to make the trip to south GA and back in one day, and spent quite a bit of time in an effort to rationalize myself out of going.  Apparently unsuccessful, as I got in the car and on the road by 5:15. Only to turn around a half mile down the street and run back to the house for a forgotten item. Several years ago, I gave myself a 'good talking to', and said (to me): "you should not burn your candle at both ends and the middle as well, so quit thinking you have the energy/stamina to make that round trip in one day." But I did it anyway.

Went to Q. and did some up-close-and-personal, manual bush-hogging in the back yard for a couple of hot sweaty hours: excellent therapy. At least a beneficial as hole digging and weed pulling. Plus I probably dug up fifty of those irritating, aggravating, thorny tubers from smilax vines: always so gratifying to think they have been uprooted, and satisfying to know those prickly vines will not be growing back..

Then went to Valdosta to visit a bit. Got back on the road, headed home, about 2:30, and back to Columbus about 6. I'm pretty sure I will not need anyone to sing  me a lullaby tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment