Tuesday, September 3, 2013

in the strictest sense of the word...

When the P&C recently celebrated an anniversary, I'd heard mention that the traditional gift to mark the survival of a marriage of five years is silver. So I sent a gift that I thought was pretty neat, and fairly appropriate for the occasion. I don't think she was nearly as amused as I was, though she does get credit for reporting postal delivery/arrival and acknowledgement.

In a random sort of manner, I was kind of pondering anniversaries, and sort of googled up anniversary gifts, just out of curiosity to see what type gift one might expect for a thirty-second anniversary. No: not celebrating a half-minute of wedded bliss, but two years after not having strangled a spouse you have been married to for thirty years. And discovered that the 'traditional' gift, according to one source, is a 'conveyance' (with the word 'vehicle' in parenthesis). This is completely out of character, as I have never in all these years, and all my marriages, ever thought to look to see what type gift would be appropriate for any particular number of years.

I thought that was somewhat interesting, since I have been regularly receiving suggestions that I should want to trade vehicles and get something with less mileage on it. I'm not responding to the suggestion, as I am perfectly happy with what I have, especially the 'paid for' part, even though it has over 150,000 miles on it.
But when I saw that choice for gifting someone on an anniversary, decided I should e-mail the suggestion to the guy who rarely even remembers when he got married.

When I saw him later that day, he asked if I thought I might enjoy having a Little Red Wagon. I nearly fell off my chair laughing. In the strictest sense of the word, it would definitely be a conveyance, even though it is only self-propelled when traveling down hill. Pretty funny....

No comments:

Post a Comment