Wednesday, September 4, 2013

today's assignment...

I was given the assignment of making a dish to take to a friend's house. She was the person who was in the way when a gas grill blew up last week, and was thankfully, remarkably not seriously injured. Even though they have thousand and thousands of dollars in medical bills - partially due to having been air-lifted to the burn center in Atlanta. I know they are counting their blessings that she is ok, and will soon be returning to work.

The small group I attend on Wednesday nights (replacement for our church family not having adult Sunday school) was taking meals out to the family when she returned home last week. My job was to make a vegetable. I'd been 'studying' a corn casserole, and decided (something I do with alarming regularity) that I should try it out on someone else. Scarey? Yep. Sorry.

I didn't actually taste it myself, even though I made the recipe twice, one to take and one to keep at home. The guy who ate it here said it was very good.Which, under different circumstances, would be note-worthy. But we know: he is a guy who will eat practically Any Thing. Especially things that he knows he should not. Like the box of Honey Buns he picked out and bought for himself at wally-world, and the giant, economy sized bag of Hershey Kisses he put in the fridge (they are better cold and crunchy!)

Corn Casserole

1 can creamed corn, plus1 can whole kernel corn, drained: mixed together
3.4 c. milk, plus 1 egg, mixed together
1 small onion, chopped, plus 2 Tbs. butter, saute till tender
12 buttery-type crackers (Ritz-like), crumbled
 seasoning to taste, lemon pepper is good.
Mix all this together, spoon into pam'med casserole dish, bake 350 for 40-50 min.


No comments:

Post a Comment