Friday, September 27, 2013

this is how it played out...

There was a monumental amount of confusion about the flowers for the baby funeral. Several other Publix stores got involved, when the auntie of the baby was told she would have to find the arrangement someplace else, as the floral guy was not working this week. As it turned out, one of the other stores decided to give the flowers for the baby casket to the family. Which is great, and what my store manager probably would have done, if I had asked him about it. (And likely would have paid for it out of his pocket: when I told him the story, he gave me cash from his wallet, and said:' to whom much is given, much is required'. So I have no doubt that if I had told him of the family's need, he would have been willing to provide the flowers for the funeral.)

So when I finally got in touch with the family - another long convoluted story - I told the auntie I had some cash some friends had put together. And since Publix was donating the flowers, I thought I should just donate the cash that community group friends had generously offered. And let the family to use in whatever way they felt was best. Also told her about a local support center that provides bereavement counseling for families that have lost babies, help with a meal for the family following the internment.and possibly some financial assistance for funeral costs.

 I'd like to think all this generosity will someday come home to roost- though ultimately, it doesn't matter. In reality - that's not why people are so willing to pitch in when they hear of families finding themselves in dire straits, or heart-wrenching situations. You do it just because it is the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment