Thursday, August 3, 2017

while driving for hours...

... today when I went half way across the state, then halfway up the state, I was thinking about something that happened years ago. I was driving with my parents and little people from south GA to Tallahassee. We were motoring along a well known road, but one that is seldom traveled due to convenience and high speeds of four lane interstate highways. Out in the country, a good distance from any towns or rural residences. Right-of-way grown up with knee high grass in need of mowing.

I hit something along the edge of the road that seemed to sort of flip off into the overgrown underbrush. I immediately convinced myself it absolutely, positively had to be a small alligator. Swore that the bulky black thing I barely saw must have been an alligator. The kind with big teeth.

Idiot me, stopped, backed up, got out of the car to go back and look. A fully functioning, perfectly capable adult male got out with me, along with two small children that apparently could hardly wait to become the reptiles' lunch. What was I thinking? Why would you chase an alligator after you had just run over his tail?

Looking back, I now conclude it was not hungry or toothy, but only a black re-tread from a blown tire,yet I am thankful we all survived. After recently viewing some hopelessly stupid youtube videos of crazy people dangling food over the mouth of a gaping alligator, I am amazed and thankful we walked away with all our body parts. Glad it was probably a curled up piece of black rubber instead of a very irate 'gator.

No comments:

Post a Comment