Thursday, August 24, 2017

possibly the ninth....

... most worst day ever when I accidentally found myself with  substitute teaching job today. You might recall the school district now requires people who desire to get 'day labor' work to be in the classroom twenty days each year. If you do not accept work for the minimum number of days, you get dropped out of the roster, no longer able to work at all as a replacement. Not sure why this recent requirement has been instituted, but if you fail to meet the parameters, you soon discover: it is enforced.

I was 'fishing around' on the website this morning, hoping to find a half day job, that would allow me to go in and work part of the day and still get credit as 'present and accounted for'. Just wanted to be acknowledged as having been on the scene. When I somehow, unintentionally touched the place on the screen that said 'accept', and found me with a job. Spent the day in a classroom with twenty or so ten year olds. It was not the most fun I have ever had.

I do not spend much time with young people, and am often baffled by their behavior. Why can't they just act normal? Why do they feel like they have to prove something to all their classmates/friends with completely unacceptable behavior? What is the purpose of being disrespectful, denying what they have so obviously just done, and acting like that sort of activity is normal when their teacher is present?

I am thankful that there were other teachers and staff members who came in the classroom. I am not sure I would have lasted all day if there had not been lots of support and encouragement from other adults. I just don't understand why they are so defiant, unwilling to cooperate and put forth an effort to learn? Isn't that what their parents sent them there to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment