Monday, August 7, 2017

the reason for going...

... to Valdosta last week. There were actually two, other than to go and check on the auntie. Who was packed up and ready to go. Where? Any place but there. She did not know where she wanted to go, only that she was ready to leave. Sadly, I did not 'spring' her from the Big House, only offered to look at my work schedule, and get back with her later.

I have been concerned about the fact that the front door on her house would not lock properly. In reality, it has not worked like it should in all the time she has owned and lived in that house. There are, as with most exterior doors, two locks: one on the door knob, and then a dead bolt. The dead bolt does not align with the small hole cut in the wooden door frame, and surrounded by a little brass plate (that I am sure has a name?), designed to cover the edges of the wee rectangle cut out of the wood. It never has worked properly. And has always bothered me. But apparently not enough to get it fixed.

I am sure it concerned my auntie, but like me, she did not resolve the problem. Well, it has been squared away. I called a friend, who is very handy, and told him what I needed, thinking it would be about a ten minute project. I was right, he got it done and was on his way in no time at all. He said he had to get a little device to grind down the edge of the metal plate to make the dead bolt seat properly into the door frame. In reality, I know that having that additional lock will not keep the house secure. If someone wants in, they will gain entry. Locks only stop honest people, right?

But I do feel better about her house, without someone living there, now that I know the door is really locked. Those flimsy little locks that operated with a button on the inside of the door knob are only a slight improvement over the latch on a screen door. Hardly worth installing, and certainly nothing that would keep anyone interested in entering out. A couple of friends have keys, and will hopefully take the time to occasionally check to be sure the property has not been looted. Doing the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment