Tuesday, August 8, 2017

the other reason for going...

... to Valdosta last week: check on the auntie's car and find someone to jump off a dead battery. It has not been started in months, and does not need to sit and sit and sit without being driven occasionally. I was pretty sure the basic problem would not be complicated, not need any more assistance than someone with a charger to give some juice to get it going. Wrong.

I tried to find that person who would come and plug it in, to get it started, but my few scattered contacts were not helpful. Then I had a light bulb moment: The auntie has a membership in AAA , which is the perfect source for 'roadside service' (or residential, as the case may be.) Then I thought: not only does she pay for membership in Triple A, but she has emergency service with her car insurance. Good ole' State Farm Auto.

I called the toll free number on the insurance card, and the people who have the response contract were very helpful, taking my info. and asking for the best time to come and facilitate starting. I thought it was going to be pretty simple and straight forward. Murphy's Law was invoked instead.

The guy driving the tow truck showed up on time, and tried his best, but it would not start. Using a charger, then with the charger plugged into household current, then trying to jump it with cables attached to his truck: nothing. Not even a peep. I said: Just tow it in to the dealer. He loaded it up and hauled it across town.

I went to the Toyota dealer and gave them my contact info., so they could call me and I could pay for whatever it takes to get it running. Assuming it would include a new starter battery, as I suspect the one under the hood is original, and needs replacing due to age. I went by to see the auntie, then left town.

Before I could get twenty miles away, the service department guy, Roy (more commonly known as Bubba) called. Reporting the 'chip' in the key did not work, so the diagnostics could not be run. Their computer could not read the chip, meaning there is no way to tell what the problem is, and therefore offer no solution. Bubba said the service guys could reprogram the chip in the key for a mere $147. I said: 'Oh? Hmmmm.... I thought she bought the replacement key you have there with the car, from the parts department, so it should be already programmed?' He said: 'Oh,.hmmmm... Yes, you are right. Do you want me to reprogram it for $147?' I said: 'No'.

I think I know where one of the original keys can be found. I told him I would get the key that came with the vehicle to the dealership and see if that will solve the communication problem. Why would I pay them to do something  again that they should have already done?

No comments:

Post a Comment