Thursday, August 3, 2017

stupid, stu-pid, stoopid...

...or maybe stupid dumb and dangerous. Foolish, lame-brained, and dimwitted. None of those things appeal to me in the least, though I was saying them all about myself today. I was driving back from Florida in the pouring rain, immersed in a story on Cds from the library. When I let my gas gauge get down to the place where the last little bar was blinking furiously, warning me I was running on fumes. Or as the cheesy robot in the "Lost in Space" series would announce: "Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!!"

Several times along the road, traveling where there are very few residences and vast open fields of cotton, peanuts, soybeans for mile after lonely mile, I passed through rain showers so heavy I could not see. And randomly happened to look at the gas gauge and realized I was in serious trouble. Undecided as to whether to back track or plunge ahead.

I didn't know how far away the next, best, close-est curb store was but felt I would not make it. So I stopped at a house, where there were vehicles parked in front, a little ATV on the porch, and John Deere lawn mower in the carport. Asking if I could buy a couple of gallons of gas out of the can they use for the mower. The people who answered the door did not kill and dismember me. But also did not help with the gas crisis.

Saying the little town of  Blakely was only five miles up the road. I was hoping I could limp along on the electric storage batteries for five miles if necessary. It was only about 3 miles. I arrived in the driving rain, beside myself with joy to be sitting in line at the pump, not caring one whit about the price.

Realizing that this is probably the first time I have ever not even looked at the price before pulling up to the pump. And then my credit card was refused. Well, @#$%. I had six one dollar bills in my pocket. Probably enough to get me home, in the little (undernourished) toyo. I pumped all six bucks would get me, and safely back at home. Lived to tell the tale.

So here I am. Confessing. And presently determined to never let that happen again. What was I thinking?  Crazy and scarey...

No comments:

Post a Comment